What is the Youth Construction and Conservation Corps?
The LAGC YCCC is a 15 week construction and conservation training program providing nationally recognized certification training, soft skills training, and performance incentives to youth aged 18-24 in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes. In addition, we assist graduates by connecting them to jobs and helping them apply for college. LAGC offers academic preparation and enrolls youth trainees as AmeriCorps members so they can earn a college scholarship after completing 300 service hours on community and environmental improvement projects. We provide training stipends, incentives for performance and transportation assistance. The YCCC is a free program to those who qualify and enroll in the program.
Through a partnership with the St. Bernard Project (SBP), local youths will rehabilitate blighted homes in Gentilly and New Orleans East while incorporating building science best practices into their work. LAGC participants have maintained public trails and planted trees in fragile swamps and bayous around the city, and completed hundreds of energy efficiency, recycling, and reconstruction projects independently and through key public and non-profit partners over the years.
Why become a Louisiana Green Corps Member?
- To join LA Green Corps and the over 500 graduates to date in the green movement working to preserve both our environment and the architectural integrity of the Greater New Orleans area.
- Learn job skills, gain technical experience and begin to earn income.
- Learn home weatherization, deconstruction, construction and historic preservation.
- Technical certifications including: 21st Century Life Skills, 10 Hour Occupational Safety Health
Administration (OSHA), National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) and more…
- Resume preparation, proper interview techniques, job readiness, civic engagement, financial literacy, along with other life skills.
- Create a career path for yourself in the growing field of Green Construction.
How do I become a Corps Member?
- Are a resident of Orleans or Jefferson Parish (Jefferson Parish and Gert Town Residents get priority)
- Are able to commit to an 8am-4:30pm work schedule Monday – Friday during the 14 week term of service
- Are able to commute to and from central program site in Mid-City, New Orleans (program can aid in transportation costs, and will provide van transportation to and from projects across the region)
- Are willing and able to do physically demanding work
- Are willing and able to participate in classroom learning in academics,
Potential Corps members must successfully complete application and interview process. In addition, applicants must have a photo ID, birth certificate, social security card, as well as proof of residency and household income.
To begin the application process call (504) 613-4661 and ask for a member of our program staff. Informational meetings are held a month before our Fall and Spring programs, which commence in September, February and April.